Friday, November 25, 2011

Bobby Flay's Favorite White House Moment

Slinging steaks with the President? Nope...
Celebrity chef Bobby Flay is one of the few White House guests chefs to actually cook with President Obama--they grilled steaks together on the South Lawn during a Father's Day picnic in 2009 (above). But going mano-a-mano over hot coals with the Eater in Chief was apparently all in a day's work for Flay, who says his favorite White House memory actually involves First Lady Michelle Obama. They had a special moment in 2010, when Flay visited the White House to harvest veggies from the Kitchen Garden for the White House episode of Iron Chef America.

"I got to take my daughter and my favorite moment was watching Michelle Obama and my daughter have a five-minute conversation about being 14. It was amazing," Flay told the Vancouver Sun.

"When we walked out of the White House, I said to my daughter, 'Sophie, just stop for a second. I want you to put this in a very special place because today will be a blur in your lifetime but I want you to remember this as a very special day in your life.' She was like, 'I know, Dad'."

Flay and Executive Chef Cris Comerford teamed up to beat Mario Batali and Emeril Lagasse on Iron Chef America. Their winning recipes included Sweet Potato Pie with Honey Meringue and Broccoli Soup.  (Above: Flay with Mrs. Obama, Comerford, and host Alton Brown)

*Top photo by Pete Souza/White House, second courtesy Food Network

No comments:

Post a Comment